Time to try another beta OS from Microsoft. This time, Windows Homer Server. Thirty seconds in and I’m getting my first error (well, it’s better than waiting 30+ minutes like back in the days of the Windows 2000 beta!)
The error was “Could not initialize UI subsystem“. I looked around the forums and found suggestions to try and set the DVD
as the first boot device. Mine already was. I then found a suggestion to use different DVD burning software. Rubbish I thought and carried on searching.
Having come to a dead-end, I tried what was suggested and downloaded the free ‘ImgBurn’ utility. This software is great. Not only did it fix the installation problem, but it’s also a light-weight utility to burn stuff to CD’s and DVD’s (190mb for Nero 7, 1.5mb for ImgBurn!). Sold!